RTSG Top Up Scheme 2017/18
If you are an ESRC funded Doctoral Researcher starting your PhD after and including 2012 starters you are eligible to apply for RTSG Top Up funds once you have demonstrated your annual RTSG has been exhausted and further funding is critical to the successful completion of the PhD. The allocation of funds is at the White Rose DTPs (WRDTP) discretion and the Academic Quality Committee (AQC) will oversee the process.
The following categories of activities, items and equipment can be supported by RTSG Top Up funds:
- Fieldwork that is conducted in the United Kingdom. Additional funding is available for award-holders undertaking fieldwork outside of the UK (OFE), for which separate arrangements are in place
- Attending conferences, training courses, summers schools and other similar events
- Undertaking language training courses prior to conducting fieldwork
- Reimbursing interpreters, guides, assistants and informants that are assisting an award-holder’s fieldwork
- Meeting the costs of conducting surveys and other data collection exercises, including printing and stationery
- Purchasing small items of equipment and consumables, such as cameras, tape recorders, films and cassettes
- Acquiring books and other materials not available through libraries
- Obtaining laptops and other computer equipment, where this is assessed to be essential to the completion of the award-holder’s PhD and cannot be directly funded by the award-holder’s host department/school or other sources.
RTSG Top Up funds will not be used to fund activities, equipment and services that constitute part of the award-holder’s host institution’s core/basic provision for Doctoral Researchers. Such core/basic provision, which all award-holders can expect to be directly met by their host department/school encompasses:
- Basic IT provision, including access to desktop computing and printing.
- Attending training events provided by WRDTP universities (these events are provided free of charge to award-holders).
- Core books, texts and other reading materials.
How to apply
You must submit an application to your Scholarships Officer at your home university who will check the form before forwarding it to the WRDTP.
Received applications are checked by the relevant Scholarships Officer to ensure they are eligible for funding, logged and then passed to the WRDTP Office to be considered by the AQC.
The WRDTP will notify the Scholarships Officer when a decision has been made which will be passed on to the applicant.
WRDTP ESRC Funding Scheme 2017/18 Timescales
|8 December 2017||9 February 2018||21 February 2018|
|16 March 2018||30 April 2018||8 May 2018|
|18 May 2018||29 June 2018||6 July 2018|
You must read the scheme guidance notes before completing the application form.
If you are awarded funding from any of the ESRC schemes we encourage you to share your experience with the WRDTP community via the PGR Forum. Also as a recipient of funding any correspondence or event materials should be appropriately branded, see our Visual Identity webpage for details.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com