Difficult Language Training 2017/18
The White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership (WRDTP) receives an annual amount from the ESRC towards the costs of up to one year’s support beyond the original funding date if a student needs to acquire or develop a working ability with a difficult language in order to carry out fieldwork or other parts of their research.
- Only full-time PhD students undertaking the +3 element of their award are eligible for this funding. It cannot be applied for by Masters students in the 1 of a 1+3 award.
- Full-time ESRC studentship award holders undertaking the +3 element of their award may be able to make one claim for DLT in the life of the award (funding cannot be provided for students in their writing-up year).
- Any anticipated DLT must have been outlined in the original ESRC award proposal.
- Extensions beyond 6 months should only be allowed if the student needs to spend an extended time overseas in order to obtain these language skills.
- Students are expected to visit only one country if extended time overseas is required. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that an appropriate visa is obtained. If the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against visiting the country concerned, the relevant institution must not authorise DLT.
- It is strongly recommended that students take out insurance to cover any period of DLT spent overseas. If for any reason the DLT is prematurely terminated you must inform your Postgraduate Scholarships Office, so that the period of your extended funding can be adjusted.
- The duration of DLT should not exceed twelve months.
How to apply
You must submit an application to your Scholarships Officer at your home university who will check the form before forwarding it to the WRDTP.
Received applications are checked by the relevant Scholarships Officer to ensure they are eligible for funding, logged and then passed to the WRDTP Office to be considered by the AQC.
The WRDTP will notify the Scholarships Officer when a decision has been made which will be passed on to the applicant.
WRDTP ESRC Funding Scheme 2017/18 Timescales
|8 December 2017||9 February 2018||21 February 2018|
|16 March 2018||30 April 2018||8 May 2018|
|18 May 2018||29 June 2018||6 July 2018|
You must read the guidance notes before completing the form.
If you are awarded funding from any of the ESRC schemes we encourage you to share your experience with the WRDTP community via the PGR Forum. Also as a recipient of funding any correspondence or event materials should be appropriately branded, see our Visual Identity webpage for details.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com