Company Internship Scheme 2017/18
The White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership (WRDTP) Company Internship Scheme (CIS) provides current ESRC-funded PhD students with the opportunity to spend up to three months in a non-academic organisation within the public, civil society (voluntary) or private sector to work as part of a team involved with policy and practice development.
- The CIS is open to all ESRC WR DTP funded PhD students who are currently in full-time study (or part-time equivalent) when undertaking the internship. An internship must be an integral part of your PhD and therefore must start at least three months prior to the end date of your ESRC award, and not within the first three months of the PhD.
- The application should also be supported by a letter from the Company where the internship will be undertaken, giving details of the dates of the internship and the type of work that will be undertaken by the student.
- Full-time students in receipt of a maintenance grant will receive a funded extension to their award covering the length of the internship (this can be from one to three months) and up to a maximum of £1,000 per month for travel and accommodation expenses (part-time students will receive this on a pro rata basis).
- Students will continue to be paid their maintenance grant (and any Advanced Quantitative Methods enhanced stipend).
- Fees Only students will receive the same accommodation and travel allowance but the extension period will only include payment of fees.
- If a student withdraws from a CIS and travel/accommodation has already been paid for, the WRDTP is entitled to claim back the costs of travel/accommodation for the remainder of the internship period.
- The student and the company will be required to complete an End of Award report.
- As a recipient of this funding you also agree to report back to the WRDTP on your Company Internship experience either on the PGR Forum, a DTP Matters article or speak at training sessions/conferences.
How to apply
You must submit an application to your Scholarships Officer at your home university who will check the form before forwarding it to the WRDTP.
Received applications are checked by the relevant Scholarships Officer to ensure they are eligible for funding, logged and then passed to the WRDTP Office to be considered by the AQC.
The WRDTP will notify the Scholarships Officer when a decision has been made which will be passed on to the applicant.
WRDTP ESRC Funding Scheme 2017/18 Timescales
|8 December 2017||9 February 2018||21 February 2018|
|16 March 2018||30 April 2018||8 May 2018|
|18 May 2018||29 June 2018||6 July 2018|
You must read the scheme guidance notes before completing the application form.
Please find below the End of Award report the student and the company will be required to complete once the CIS has taken place.
If you are awarded funding from any of the ESRC schemes we encourage you to share your experience with the WRDTP community via the PGR Forum. Also as a recipient of funding any correspondence or event materials should be appropriately branded, see our Visual Identity webpage for details.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org